Bible ‘Shorts’: 1st John
Abiding in Christ, Walking in Truth, Obeying God’s Commands
This week, we will be taking a look at 1st John. 1st John is known as a book of the Bible that emphasizes LOVE. I’ve been struck by the emphasis of the ‘doing of good’ as a repeated theme in this series of Biblical ‘Shorts’ (short in length books of the Bible that are lesser known and read.) How do we know that we belong to God? Jesus says it best, ‘A good tree bears good fruit.’
I would be the first to echo the truth from God’s word that there is nothing ‘good’ about us in and of ourselves – for sure, nothing of any ‘saving good’ in us. That is, apart from Jesus Christ. But once we receive God’s salvation in Jesus, our central calling is to ‘bear good fruit.’ No greater, more beautiful, tastier, satisfying, God glorifying good fruit than LOVE.
1st John has so many memorable teachings of truth.
- 1:5 – “God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.”
- 1:9 – “If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
- 2:6 – “Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus lived.”
- 3:1 – “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God.”
- 4:7-12 – “Beloved, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love… this is love; not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins, sent into the world that we might live through him… God so loved us, we also ought to love one another… if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
- 5:2 – “This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.”
So much goodness and truth in 1 John. John keeps it simple for us. Bear the ‘good fruit’ of LOVE.
See you Sunday,